Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Fri May 6 14:08:42 CEST 2011

On 06 May 2011, at 13:56, Johan Brichau wrote:

> When I program in Smalltalk, I have a lot of open code browsers in my image
> When I program in Java/Javascript/..., I have a lot of open web pages on my desktop

+1111

Browsing in a Smalltalk image should be self-documenting, not just because of comments, but because of beautiful, understandable code.

A Dan Ingalls quote from "Design Principles Behind Smalltalk" ( http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/smalltalk.html )

Just to get warmed up, I'll start with a principle that is more social than technical and that is largely responsible for the particular bias of the Smalltalk project:

	Personal Mastery: If a system is to serve the creative spirit, it must be entirely comprehensible to a single individual.

An excellent read, this document, by the way!

Sven