Germán Arduino garduino at gmail.com
Sat May 7 01:12:01 CEST 2011

2011/5/6 Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven at beta9.be>:

> On 06 May 2011, at 13:56, Johan Brichau wrote:
>
>> When I program in Smalltalk, I have a lot of open code browsers in my image
>> When I program in Java/Javascript/..., I have a lot of open web pages on my desktop
>
> +1111
>
> Browsing in a Smalltalk image should be self-documenting, not just because of comments, but because of beautiful, understandable code.
>
> A Dan Ingalls quote from "Design Principles Behind Smalltalk" ( http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/smalltalk.html )
>
> Just to get warmed up, I'll start with a principle that is more social than technical and that is largely responsible for the particular bias of the Smalltalk project:
>
>        Personal Mastery: If a system is to serve the creative spirit, it must be entirely comprehensible to a single individual.
>
> An excellent read, this document, by the way!
>
> Sven

Full agree. I talked exactly about "Personal Mastery" on my talk in
Smalltalks 2010 explaining my pov about why Smalltalk is good from a
MicroISV (and not excluding other sort of companies). The talks are in
Vimeo: http://www.vimeo.com/21859511 (Sorry with the self-promotion,
but I think is worth to share my experience).