Douglas Brebner squeaklists at fang.demon.co.uk
Sat May 7 08:54:49 CEST 2011

On 07/05/2011 01:06, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> On 6 May 2011 23:45, Stefan Marr<pharo at stefan-marr.de>  wrote:
>> On 06 May 2011, at 19:08, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>>> How about CogVM? Should we stop developing it? Or we should start
>>> supporting both? And can we do that without too much pain? Give us the
>>> idea.
>> It is all about adopting the ideas, and I could collaboration on that, but I can't do that work.
>> The only problem I see is that there does not seem to be a business case for a CogVM with parallel Smalltalk Process execution.
>>
> I can tell you more: there is no business cases for VM(s) which can do
> manycore :)
> At least, to my perception, there is not much pressure from people
> (even on mainstream languages) to leverage this technology.
> I thought it is very close to come into our houses, but no.. it stuck
> somewhere on marketplace, buying a better clothes.

I have the bad feeling that there will continue to be no business case
for manycore VMs (or serious concurrency in general) until we hit a wall
at which point they'll suddenly go from uninteresting to desperately
essential and any language not able to make the jump will be in big trouble.

Besides, wasn't part of Smalltalk all about leading the way rather than
following behind?