[Pharo-project] RoarVM (Was: Popularity of Smalltalk in Software Industry)

Stefan Marr pharo at stefan-marr.de
Sat May 7 14:07:40 CEST 2011

On 07 May 2011, at 10:41, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Too bad. The eclipse license is not for us.
I know, other reason to 'steal' the ideas and integrate them into Cog.
And I can't do that, because all code that is derived from what we do with the RoarVM will probably need to be EPL (as far as I understand, but I am not a lawyer...) However, I don't see a problem in guiding someone...

> Now do you imply that Process should use your primitive?

The lengthy discussion is available here: (and in the mailing list archives)

Multiprocessor Smalltalk: A Case Study of a Multiprocessor-Based
Programming Environment by Joseph Pallas, and David Ungar, in Proceedings of the ACM SIGPLAN 1988 Conference on Programming Language Design and Implementation, ACM (1988), p. 268-277. http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=54017

The short version:
 There is exactly one important primitive in the VM: to determine the process that is locally executed.
 And the image needs to be adapted to get rid of the activeProcess semantic of being a singleton.
 Following Pallas, that is thisProcess in our code, and that needs to be used for getting the locally executing process.
 That requires some adaptations here and there like in the debugger.

 The other primitives are for greater flexibility.

Best regards
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr