Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Sat May 7 14:34:59 CEST 2011

Hi Igor,

Am 07.05.2011 um 13:37 schrieb Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com>:
>> What market are you talking about? There are lots and lots of customers of
>> certain big database/appliance vendors that would loudly protest had the
>> stuff they bought no inherent support for parallel execution.
>
> So, where those customers to sponsor development of VM(s) they need so much?

for the market you probably have in mind, I do not know. Perhaps that market is not so interesting after all.

> I am not talking about hardware, i'm talking about software. It is
> largely not using parallelism,
> or using it wrong.

That is precisely my point.

>> Is it really *that* hard or is this just FUD?
>
> Its not that hard. But if you take the previous paragraph into account...

So it is about fear. Which in turn means that it would take some fearless individuals (not necessarily leaders). I'm not afraid of parallelism, and think it would be an interesting and worthwhile experiment. Stefan would probably agree, and he has some experience with an older Squeak image. I'm sure you agree. How about it, guys? ;-)

Best,

Michael