Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sat May 7 16:54:09 CEST 2011

On 7 May 2011 14:34, Michael Haupt <mhaupt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Igor,
>
> Am 07.05.2011 um 13:37 schrieb Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com>:
>>> What market are you talking about? There are lots and lots of customers of
>>> certain big database/appliance vendors that would loudly protest had the
>>> stuff they bought no inherent support for parallel execution.
>>
>> So, where those customers to sponsor development of VM(s) they need so much?
>
> for the market you probably have in mind, I do not know. Perhaps that market is not so interesting after all.

i think that market of 'web-toys' is much wider than market of
'highly-parrallel supercomputing'.
And its not my fault that web-toyers know little and usually don't
care about parallelism.. until they grow too big
to start considering it.. but it happens to 0.001% of them.
Everyone prefer cheap and fast solutions. And making own program to
exploit massive parallelism is not cheap nor fast :)
It is definitely harder than writing program using plain sequential algorithms.

>> I am not talking about hardware, i'm talking about software. It is
>> largely not using parallelism,
>> or using it wrong.
>
> That is precisely my point.
>

>>> Is it really *that* hard or is this just FUD?
>>
>> Its not that hard. But if you take the previous paragraph into account...
>
> So it is about fear. Which in turn means that it would take some fearless individuals (not necessarily leaders). I'm not afraid of parallelism, and think it would be an interesting and worthwhile experiment. Stefan would probably agree, and he has some experience with an older Squeak image. I'm sure you agree. How about it, guys? ;-)

I do agree that we could do something in this regard. But given that
we could "do something" almost everywhere, it is hard to say if this
topic should take priority. Currently my plate is full. So, its not
about that there are someone says "no we don't want it ",
its mainly about lack of resources.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.