Stefan Marr pharo at stefan-marr.de
Sun May 8 01:22:36 CEST 2011

On 07 May 2011, at 16:33, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 7 May 2011 10:41, Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr> wrote:
>> Too bad. The eclipse license is not for us.
>>
> I'm not a lawyer, but reading it, it looks like this license are
> compatible with MIT.

My understanding is that the EPL requires 'derived work' to be EPL licensed.
While the EPL has much clearer definition of derived work than the GPL, it is still not as free as the MIT license. (Derived work explicitly excludes software modules build on top, so that it is clear that your business code can stay closed source. That definition is missing in the GPL as far as I understand.)
But I can't change that. The IBM lawyers insist on EPL.

Anyway, the RoarVM will never be as performant as the CogVM, so, the only reasonable approach is to steal the ideas and bring them to Cog.
Most ideas are described in papers already. And some missing details are hopefully published soon...

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab