[Pharo-project] Problem with CompiledMethodTrailer

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue May 10 16:24:08 CEST 2011

On 10 May 2011 16:22, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 May 2011 13:33, Henrik Sperre Johansen
> <henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no> wrote:

>>> Yes, if you wipe the sourcePointer, there is no way how you can get a
>>> source code of method.
>>
>> I believe the "not getting the source code" was on purpose.
>> It's done f.ex. as part of condenseChanges, as the source pointers would
>> have been invalid anyways.
>> The intent I believe is that you should get decompiled source if you inspect
>> old(but still referenced) CompiledMethods, instead of a bogus display of
>> some random part of the new changes file, and remove error handling in
>> source lookup where pointer could potentially be beyond end of file.
>>
>> This of course worked much faster before trailers, when setSourcePointer:
>> actually modified the instance inline, rather than become'ing a copy,
>> nowadays I agree with Igor that it'd probably be more conceptually clean to
>> the empty MethodTrailer in destroySourcePointer :)
>>
>> Just remember to make sure such instances decompile as expected to uphold
>> why the zapping was done in the first place.
>> If we're lucky,  it won't crash the VM either ;)
>>

> Actually , in #destroySourcePointer setting sourcePointer = 0 is pretty useless.
> Since now, we can embed source code in trailer, we can replace a
> senders of it with #dropSourcePointer.
> Then you don't have to decompile the method, even if its no longer
> installed and cannot be located in .sources or .changes files anymore.
>
> We could even do this at the method installation time:
>  - if a newly installed method replacing an old one,
> we tell old one to drop its source pointer immediately.
>
> Then, by definition, you cannot have non-installed methods with wrong
> source pointer, and all those methods will still be able to show you
> an original source code.
>
> Sounds like an idea?

oh , and forgot to note, that having a source code available at all
times is quite useful in cases,
when your methods using some kind of DSL. Because decompiler can only
reconstruct a source code of smalltalk methods,
but not the ones, which were authored using customized parser/compiler
.. like using Helvetia.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.