[Pharo-project] SSL/HTTPS - SecureSocketStream/SSLSessionforPharo/Squeak and other Smalltalk implementations

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Thu May 12 16:53:23 CEST 2011

Rob,

On 12 May 2011, at 16:38, Rob Withers wrote:

> It is a complete implementation with the bare minimum of supported algorithms, based on the spec.   It is 100% in Smalltalk.  It worked last time I tested in, several years ago.  I will be able to tell you more this weekend.   Others have been adding fixes/small features since, but not a lot - the base is pretty solid.  I painstakingly followed the RFC for SSL - I think I read it over 20 times!  The only issue would be algorithm support. I never benchmarked it, but seeing the difference in performance between Smlltalk crypto code like 3DES and plugin code, there is a SIGNIFICANT improvement (10x?).   I do not know the state of Profiling under Pharo.  If someone could help set me up, then I will profile it this weekend.  I imagine both performance and certification were the reasons for SqueakSSL.
>
> There is also an SSH implementation I wrote that does dynamic window resizing on net latency.

It would be *very cool* if that code base could be ported to Pharo.
It is really quite impressive that you did all this from the spec.

I think that it would be possible to adjust my plan a bit, so that eventually, my code would use either the native plugin or your Smalltalk implementation. Then, we can compare features, functionality, bugs, etc..

Does that sound like a good idea ?

Sven