[Pharo-project] Need help with 1.3 Full Image

Marcus Denker marcus.denker at inria.fr
Fri May 13 10:12:44 CEST 2011

On May 13, 2011, at 9:38 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> I personally think this really wants to tell us something, but that's just me.
>
> Yes, indeed. Thank you for fixing all the things in Pharo 1.2. This is
> really important.
>
> I really don't understand why Pharo is pushing so hard towards Pharo
> 1.3 while even Pharo 1.2.1 is not really stable for daily work yet.

Keep in mind that 1.2.1 is unchanged. Fixes are added to 1.2.2a, and
due to a change in 1.2 (that was *a bad idea*!!!), you need to set the version
number to 1.2.2a to see any updates.

The first update of 1.2.2a fixes this wrong change.

We should release 1.2.2 just to get this problem fixed and update updates again.

Another thing I would like is to not have one rolling release for stable.

that is, there is

1.2 update 12XXX

And nothing else, fixes get pushed, images build by Hudson, no releases on that level.

> The number of really critical bugs that appear in Pharo 1.2 every day

There is no bug reported in 1.2 that is not already in 1.1:

	http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/list?can=2&q=milestone%3D1.2.2

> makes me wonder how many people are just stuck with Pharo 1.1? :-(

Maybe we need a dedicated stable team? From my financing, it would be hard
to justify working purely on 1.2... I can work on 1.3, because we want to change
the system to be something really great. But maintaining 1.2 is hard to justify as
a researcher....

	Marcus

INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.