[Pharo-project] Help "migrating" from classic streams to XStreams

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Fri May 13 20:42:12 CEST 2011

Hi guys. We are developing Fuel with Martin Dias. Fuel is a binary
serializer similar to Parcels. More info in
http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel

For the moment, we are using the "classic" streams we want to give it a try
to XStreams. My knowledge on streams is very little, so if someone can give
me a hint I would really appreciate it.
What I want to do right now is an adaptor of XStreams to classic stream. I
mean, I want to create custom subclasses of XTFileWriteStream and
XTFileReadStream that implements the same API from classic streams that we
use in Fuel. And the implementations of such methods will do just a "self
something" where something is the way of doing that in XStreams.

So, the following is the protocol we use in Fuel for streams, and what I
would love to know is the associated way to do it it XStreams. The left is
classic streams, and after the "->" it is XStreams:

*Reading:*

nextNumber: -> ??
nextPutAll: -> write:
nextStringPut: -> ??