[Pharo-project] SSL/HTTPS - SecureSocketStream/SSLSessionforPharo/Squeak and other Smalltalk implementations

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Sat May 14 13:13:29 CEST 2011

2011/5/14 Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr>:

>> I accelerated raisedTo:modulo: a bit with a primitive
>> (http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7120) but that's not enough
> Nicolas
>
> do you know why it was not integrated?
> It is a good candidate to check the build system of the VM and their evolution.
> Igor (I gave the windows distribution) to the arnaud so I hope that soon we will get a new windows slave for jenkins.
>
> Stef

Don't know. I also have my modest bitShift: improvments pending
(http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7109).
Maybe I haven't performed enough tests to assert the performance gain.
The changes are reliable, I run a VM with both improvments without
crash for months.

I could try to further improve the exponentiation algorithm by mixing
a sliding window exponentiation with Montgomery multiplication.
There would be other optimisations possible : each modular product
fits on a given number of bytes so we could recycle allocated
LargeInteger for storing intermediate results rather than letting vm
do it.

Nicolas