[Pharo-project] SSL/HTTPS - SecureSocketStream/SSLSessionforPharo/Squeak and other Smalltalk implementations

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat May 14 19:07:46 CEST 2011

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 01:27:11PM +0200, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
> 2011/5/14 St?phane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr>:

> >> Don't know. I also have my modest bitShift: improvments pending
> >> (http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7109).
> >> Maybe I haven't performed enough tests to assert the performance gain.
> >> The changes are reliable, I run a VM with both improvments without
> >> crash for months.
> >>
> >> I could try to further improve the exponentiation algorithm by mixing
> >> a sliding window exponentiation with Montgomery multiplication.
> >> There would be other optimisations possible : each modular product
> >> fits on a given number of bytes so we could recycle allocated
> >> LargeInteger for storing intermediate results rather than letting vm
> >> do it.
> >>
> >> Nicolas
> >>

> > Here is what I suggest.
> > - Keep a log of these fixes may be on the cog vm
> > - did you publish your fixes using the git infrastructure we put in place - because without it we will not work.
>
> No, this is just 3 or 4 methods to be change in VMMaker, no external C
> code, only slang.

Nocolas, sorry I overlooked M7120. The issue had been assigned to tim
in 2008, so I just reassigned it to lewis.

> > - Write some tests
>
> bitShift has tests, for Montgomery I don't remember, but that's easy.

A couple of test or example doits would help, because we should verify
that the primitive works on 32/64 bit HOST/IMAGE combinations.

> > - Soon igor will resume his work on vm building with hudson and we should get some regression testing tests.
> > - Soon we should be able to introduce these changes and evaluate their impact.
> > - we should push the git infrastructure.
> >

> I just need a commit right in VMMaker if we want to push this.

Please mention on vm-dev if you want to be added to SqS/VMMaker.

Thanks,
Dave