[Pharo-project] I give up. Squeaksource has lost lot of versions again

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue May 17 09:53:15 CEST 2011

On 16 May 2011 19:13, Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr> wrote:
> mariano
>
> There was a crash and we spend some couple of hours with marcus to see what we can
> do. Now apparently the applications does not find some of the files that are on the filesystem.
> So the code is not lost but squeaksource does not see them.
>
> This has nothing with Pharo and Smalltalk. Just that Squeaksource was created in 2002
> and that it suffers from the success of Squeak and Pharo.

Indeed. It was not designed to be used in such big scale as today. So,
it is not a bug, it is a feature (or lack of ;)
And as any other software it requires maintenance and upgrades to meet
today's requirements.

> Now this is why ESUG payed objectFusion to propose a new application.

Is there a plan to provide a migration from squeaksource to new system?
Because if not, then i'm afraid, most people will keep using SqS
and imagine how many configs/wiki pages and other stuff needs to be updated.
I'd prefer to fully replace SqS with new system at some day without
need of migrating projects by all developers and updating
links/configs etc.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.