[Pharo-project] I give up. Squeaksource has lost lot of versions again

csrabak at bol.com.br csrabak at bol.com.br
Tue May 17 15:45:44 CEST 2011

Em 16/05/2011 14:13, Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr> escreveu:

> mariano
>  There was a crash and we  spend some couple of hours with marcus to
> see what  we can do. Now  apparently the applications  does not find
> some of  the files that are on  the filesystem.  So the  code is not
> lost but squeaksource does not see them.
>  This has  nothing with Pharo and Smalltalk.  Just that Squeaksource
> was created in  2002 and that it suffers from  the success of Squeak
> and Pharo.
>  Now  this  is  why  ESUG   payed  objectFusion  to  propose  a  new
> application.
>
>  Now again  if you give me one  engineer full time I'm  sure that we
> can do  that.  Do you think that  svn or git where  created from the
> air without sponsoring......?  Just curious.
Stef,

Incurring on the risk of sounding like a cat in the Birds of a
Feather, I think the attempt to compare svn or git efforts to SqS (or
the whole Monticello infra, for the matter) is not correct, because in
former the solutions span a wider "audience" with more than a
technology/platform/language, whereas the latter is Squeak/Pharo
specific.

In Smalltalk we have for each flavor a different version control
system!

To avoid misunderstandings and/or a stretching of this thread without
necessity, let assure you folks I _do_ know the aformentioned systems
are "file based" and Smalltalk is different, etc., but my observation
is /orthogonal/ to this.

my 0.0199999...

--
Cesar Rabak