[Pharo-project] I give up. Squeaksource has lost lot of versions again

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue May 17 15:49:30 CEST 2011

On 17 May 2011 15:37, Philippe Marschall
<philippe.marschall at netcetera.ch> wrote:
> On 05/17/2011 09:53 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>> On 16 May 2011 19:13, Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr> wrote:
>>> mariano
>>>
>>> There was a crash and we spend some couple of hours with marcus to see what we can
>>> do. Now apparently the applications does not find some of the files that are on the filesystem.
>>> So the code is not lost but squeaksource does not see them.
>>>
>>> This has nothing with Pharo and Smalltalk. Just that Squeaksource was created in 2002
>>> and that it suffers from the success of Squeak and Pharo.
>>>

>> Indeed. It was not designed to be used in such big scale as today. So,
>> it is not a bug, it is a feature (or lack of ;)
>> And as any other software it requires maintenance and upgrades to meet
>> today's requirements.
>>
>>> Now this is why ESUG payed objectFusion to propose a new application.
>>>

>> Is there a plan to provide a migration from squeaksource to new system?
>> Because if not, then i'm afraid, most people will keep using SqS
>> and imagine how many configs/wiki pages and other stuff needs to be updated.
>> I'd prefer to fully replace SqS with new system at some day without
>> need of migrating projects by all developers and updating
>> links/configs etc.
>
> If you don't care about metadata it should be pretty easy to come up a
> shell script that downloads all versions of a project from SqueakSource
> and uploads when to a new place.

Yes, but the problem is not just about files. SqS is a major part of
our community infrastructure.
So, if you tell people: here another novel system which you can use to
host your projects, how many people you will expect to migrate there?

If project aims to replace squeaksource, then i'd prefer to do that
literally: replacing it for good of all users of current squeaksource.
Otherwise, some projects will be still bound to old infrastructure ,
and apparently we will never be able to get rid of that 2002 old
image, and will be forced to still use it
for projects whose author(s)/maintainers decided to not bother
migrating on new server.

And again, imagine the amount of work migrating a project from one
hosting to another: - update configurations with proper urls, update
docs and references..
this is a lot of work. And apparently because of that i would not
expect that everyone will start migrating their stuf onto new server.
Take in account a human factors,
like making mistakes etc etc.. so it will be a whole mess.

What i propose instead is that one day, people go to squeaksource.com
and magically see different frontend (which using different backend),
but all data from squeaksource is there and all projects and users etc
etc. This will be much more helpful to community if we do it like
that.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.