[Pharo-project] Zodiac - 1st delivery - A new (binary) socket stream

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Wed May 18 08:09:56 CEST 2011

Hi Luc,

On 18 May 2011, at 08:00, Luc Fabresse wrote:

>  That's a really really news.
>  I look forward when we will reach a stable point for Ocean to use Zodiac on top of it.
>  FYI, Ocean is a re-implementation of Sockets (Netnameresolver, IpAddress, ....).

As I said the interface towards Socket is quite small, it should be really easy to plug in an alternative.
Apart from connect/disconnect and isConnected/isDataAvailable there are two key methods:

	ZdcSimpleSocketStream>>fillBytes: bytes startingAt: offset count: count
	"Ask the socket to read count elements into bytes starting at offset. Do not wait. Return read count."

	ZdcSimpleSocketStream>>flushBytes: bytes startingAt: offset count: count
	"Ask the socket to write count bytes starting from offset. Wait. Fail if not successful"

And then there is the logic to wait for input.
The optimized versions build on this interface.

Sven