[Pharo-project] Wishes for new ClassBuilder (toon?)

Toon Verwaest toon.verwaest at gmail.com
Wed May 18 22:31:55 CEST 2011

Nope. That needs to be added. Sorry. If you have tests for the old
classbuilder we can port them. Otherwise I can take the time at the next
print I attend to do it; maybe together with somebody else.

Toon

On 05/18/2011 09:38 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> toon I looked at the code but do you have tests for the new class builder?
> I could not find them.
>
> Stef
> On May 18, 2011, at 6:17 PM, Toon Verwaest wrote:
>
>> The PlayOut classbuilder indeed separates this nicely. We have the distinction between the "installer" and the "builder". The builder uses an "installer" as a client and notifies it about stuff that happens.
>>
>> For example we have an "anonymous subclass builder" that's implemented like that. It basically just ignores most of the notifications of the builder since it doesn't really do anything.
>>
>> ... but of course this means that you need PlayOut ;) You can get an image at http://pinocchio.unibe.ch/~tverwaes/PlayOut.tar.gz
>>
>> caveats:
>> - At the moment that system doesn't validate everything yet like the old classbuilder (since I wanted to freely change classes with any name)
>> - it doesn't handle obsolete subclasses yet. Oh well ;)
>> - it's still intertwined with our slots implementation, so it relies on Helvetia. But that can/should/will be fixed without changing the API.
>>
>> cheers,
>> Toon
>>
>> On 05/18/2011 03:18 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>> Hi guys. As part of the Fuel project, one of the things we want to do (in fact, it is done) is to serialize classes. There want to have 3 possibilities:
>>> 1) Do something like DiskProxy where you only save its global name and some selector to run when deserialing it
>>> 2) Really searialize the whole class (following method dictionary, compiled methods, class pools and friend, etc) so that you can deserialize it in another image where such class is not present.