[Pharo-project] Problem with Pharo 1.3 in Windows

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Thu May 19 10:08:11 CEST 2011

Igor wrote:

> Torsten, can you please document somewhere, how you chaging the version info?
> I really can't understand how today's VMs are versioned, and what
> version we could use for Pharo-branded VMs.

You change the version info in the *.rc file. This file
is used during the build process, creates the ressource section
in the windows portable executable (PE) file. This info is used
by explorer to display the version info. This info is also
used by setups to see if an installed component is newer and should not
be overwritten.
(see my post in "Branded Cog for Win32" from yesterday.

Currently I use the versions that the Win32 maintainers "officially"
released. Latest standard Squeak VM for Windows from Andreas
is 4.1.1 (see http://squeakvm.org/win32/) - but very old.

And latest tagged SVN revision from Eliot was VM.r2378/
(see http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/)
Cog now moved on and is as of today at VM.r2382

In general the standard Win32 VM doesnt look very well maintained
(Andreas stepped back or has no time) and Eliots focus is on
performance/bug fixing. Dont know if you are already maintain
an offical Pharo VM fork for Win32...

Marcus wrote:
>We *neeeeeeed* for every version of Pharo a VM that has *just* the same >version number.

I think the problem was and (maybe still is) that there
were no aligned VM releases. It's dependent on the VM maintainer
time and what he included (fixes, new plugins).

So on each platform there was an own custom versioning scheme
(one for mac, one for windows, ...).

On windows: for standard vm Andreas aligned with Squeak releases:
http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/?C=M;O=D
and Eliot is oriented towards his SVN revision number
http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/

But there was a discussion on VM versioning on vm-dev list.
Maybe you should discuss it there.

Bye
T.