[Pharo-project] Problem with Pharo 1.3 in Windows

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Thu May 19 10:40:39 CEST 2011

Marcus
>We have system that builds VMs from the latest soures automatically.
>No need to wait for anyone.

Does this "build system" magically write new code for the platform,
fix bugs or implement the platform specific code for new plugins?

There has to be at least one maintainer of the (win32)VM otherwise
"latest soures" always points to the same version and no build
system is required at all !!!

The platform specific VM code needs maintenance ... either we
continue to use the code base/versions from Andreas for
regular VM and the code base/version from Eliot for the Cog VM
or we fork ...

Dont know if we have the resources to fork and maintain own
VM's. On the other side Squeak Win32 VM is outdated anyway
(SqueakVM-Win32-4.1.1-src.zip if from July 2010).

I know many of you dont care about/hate Windows but if Pharo
wants to be accepted in the larger commercial market then
there is no way around a well maintained Win32 port.

>I unsubscribed from all Squeak lists after 3.9. And that was final.

"vm-dev" is for the VM which is currently for Squeak, Cuis, Pharo, ...
You dont have to subscribe again, just check the archive:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/

Bye
T.