[Pharo-project] Problem with Pharo 1.3 in Windows

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Thu May 19 13:25:12 CEST 2011

Stef wrote
>Now my main questions are

Hey ... dont take me wrong. I want the build server to
build the VMs too, I want a repeatable process and
a reliable VM. I appreciate that we change this!!!

We all know that if VM development is dependent on a single
maintainer person then nobody would invest into Pharo, Squeak
or Cuis since the truck factor* is one.

I support all this. Remember: I was the one who wrote the first
ConfigurationOfVMMaker so that it is easy to get all the bits
and pieces. I want to make it easier for people to dive into
VM building.

The windows build slave is a huge step forward ... we
can not only build the VM and installer ... we can also run
the tests on Windows too to see if there are platform specific
issues. Cool and hardly needed!

But someone (person or team) has to wear the Win32 VM "hat"
to check contributions or help fixing a bug. So may question is what
is the direction we will take here?

It looks like the standard SqueakWin32 VM is unmaintained since the
last release is from July 2010. We still have no Alien, we still
have no callbacks. Yes, there is Cog whose code base is newer
but I think Eliots focus is on speed rather than functionality.

Will we fork from standard VM, will we participate in Eliots
work or will we fork an own using git and maintain it by picking pieces
from the other VMs?

Also: what can we do to reach the goal of feature complete VM's
with aligned version numbers. I think this means to participate on
lists like "vm-dev"...

But maybe I'm just too impatient...

Bye
T.

*the truck factor = The number of people on your team who
 have to be hit with a truck before the project is in serious
 trouble"