[Pharo-project] Zinc feedback

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri May 20 10:32:44 CEST 2011

On 20 May 2011 10:08, Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven at beta9.be> wrote:
> Stef,
>
> On 20 May 2011, at 08:57, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi Sven
>>
>> with igor we went over the start up list and we saw that ZnServer resgiter all subclasses of ZnServer.
>> We think that it would be better to have a list of servers to be registered and that users can decide.
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Stef
>
> It is the traditional/classic idea that a server object in Smalltalk should survive image save/load. This is very convenient for beginners and during development. For production systems, explicit control is better.
>
> Now that I look at the code again, I must agree that it is a bit weird: only those server registered/started as the default in their class fall under this scheme, not other instances.
>
> So yes, an explicit managed list of ZnServer subclasses that need startup/shutdown would be nicer. If that is what you mean.

Yes. This is what i meant :)

Because Default means only single server. While actually there could
be as many servers as you want.
So, during image startup, there should be a registration mechanism,
which registers servers and starting them up.
Instead of 'Default' single instance.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.