[Pharo-project] SIXX problem for ScaledDecimal

Chris Cunningham cunningham.cb at gmail.com
Sat May 21 01:05:34 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Ralph Boland <rpboland at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dealing with ScaledDecimal is a complicated matter and I have probably failed
> to appreciate many of the complications but whoever is implementing
> ScaledDecimal
> (and Smalltalk needs ScaledDecimal) needs to appreciate those complications.
> Anybody here a financial expert?

I am not a financial expert, but this is how ScaledDecimal works, in
both Squeak/Pharo and I believe other implementations, too.

I did run into this previously and it bugged me enough that I created
FixedDecimal (at http://www.squeaksource.com/FixedDecimal.html ). It
does not keep an internal more precise number - it keeps exactly what
it shows you.  (Although the implementation is somewhat odd - it does
do what it is supposed to do.)

-Chris