[Pharo-project] The Cult of Done Manifesto

Andres Valloud avalloud at smalltalk.comcastbiz.net
Sat May 21 02:40:21 CEST 2011

Statements like "just pretend you know what you're doing" should raise
red flags because it leads to "doing anything at all, even it is bad, is
good".  One might as well forget trying to know in favor of pretending
to know, because doing something (anything) makes you right.  But of
course, no amount of pretense will make software work when it's critical
for it to work at a customer's site, or when doing a demo of your
research work while defending your thesis.  Not only that, but doing
something any which way has the hidden cost of incurring into software
debt.  Exactly how much cleanup homework are we still dealing with
because of that kind of attitude?  Are we happy with the results?
Things that Work(TM) don't happen by accident, they are the product of
significant amounts of effort.  Shoddy code that appears to work some of
the time is Just Bad(TM), and sooner or later you pay for it ***with
interest***.