[Pharo-project] Gettext package?

Henrik Sperre Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Wed May 25 11:02:41 CEST 2011

On 25.05.2011 08:14, Marcus Denker wrote:
> On May 24, 2011, at 11:13 PM, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
>
>> I ported the gettext package from Etoys to Pharo with help of other
>> (Henrik).
>> I have to admit I mostly forgot about its internal, even if I amn using
>> it for DrGeo.
>> In between, some part of the gettext package in Etoys was improved, I
>> forgot which part exactly. Bert may remember a bit more.
>>
>> Do whatever you think is appropriate with the package. As you hacked the
>> package recently you are definitely in a better position to split it in
>> different component.
>>
> Right now there is support for internationalisation in the image.... but not really used.
> Would it make sense to replace that with Gettext? (and make gettecht a core feature?)
>
> 	Marcus

If you mean String >> #translated, the previous localization
functionality in NaturalLanguageTranslator has been replaced by stubs
since 1.2.
The System Integration part of gettext package I mentioned hooks into
this, and is the expected thing to use for those needing it.

Personally, I don't think it belongs in Core.

Cheers,
Henry