[Pharo-project] Gettext package?

Johan Brichau johan at inceptive.be
Wed May 25 13:23:14 CEST 2011

On 25 May 2011, at 11:34, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>> But does it belong into that what we call Pharo?
>
> yes probably.

If you want to keep and improve the existing "localisation & translation" support, I think it's a good idea to integrate Gettext. It uses a format that is used beyond the Smalltalk community.

But I guess the above depends wether the 'core' Pharo tools require some "translation" support. And I don't think they do, i.e: I don't think we want a french version of the system browser ;-)
They might require "localisation" without the translation (i.e. date format etc.) but Gettext is not about that. Any internationalization support is more a package to be used by applications developed in Pharo.
My use of Gettext, for example, is for translation support in Seaside apps. Hilaire uses it for Dr. Geo.

Of course, GemStone and Visualworks also come with an internationalization library integrated in the basic image (not entirely sure about VW).

If I do more work using Gettext, I can certainly do something for its integration in Pharo.

Johan