[Pharo-project] Tiling windows

Gastón Dall' Oglio gaston.dalloglio at gmail.com
Thu May 26 14:52:09 CEST 2011

2011/5/26 laurent laffont <laurent.laffont at gmail.com>

> 2011/5/26 Gastón Dall' Oglio <gaston.dalloglio at gmail.com>
>

>> 2011/5/26 laurent laffont <laurent.laffont at gmail.com>
>>
>>> Gastòn,
>>>
>>> I've downloaded the new version - thanks a lot for contributing, it
>>> brings fun :)
>>>
>>> Some comment:
>>>
>>> - tiling browsers don't work any more with
>>> OB, WMWithAnOBBrowserAndDockingBarsTest does not create an OBBrowser anymore
>>> but a Browser
>>>

>> In 1.3 core there's not OBBrowser, then, when trying to modify a method
>> with reference to OBBrowser obtained an error. So I remove their references.
>>

> I see. I will refactor this so it will be compatible with Core and still
> work with OB (quite easy).

This would be great, because now I think, in a core are never the most
useful tools (Seaside control panel, memory monitor), and TWM should know
about them in some way (you apply a pattern to solve this problem?).

>> - you've changed TilingWM>>visibleWindows to TilingWM>>windows. The
>>> "visible" was not innocent, because tileVisibleWindows cares about windows
>>> that are not minimized. On the other side, tileWorkspaces tile all
>>> workspaces, minimized or not. So I think in final we may have:
>>>
>>> #tileVisibleWindows
>>> #tileWindows  (maybe #tileAllWindows is a better name)
>>> #tileVisibleWorkspaces
>>> #tileWorkspaces / #tileAllWorkspaces
>>>

>> Please, see you the comment in de versión 5 of de package, "Now all botton
>> tile visibles windows.". I think it's better to just get organized visible
>> windows, even when done on a particular kind (such as workspaces). For this
>> is that the word was redundant now visible.
>>

> I will think about this.

When you have many windows, minimizing them is the way to let them
"suspended", therefore I think it should be organized only visibles.

> - I will add tests to TWMBar finally as it seems to grow
>>>
>>> - I want TilingWM to be 100% test coverage
>>>

>> Sorry, give me some time for learn about this...
>>

> Don't hesitate to ask.

ok.

> - Balloon and spaces for TWMBar is a good idea - we need to make this work
>>> effectively :)
>>>

>> yes
>>

>>> - Great to have all the buttons per type of applications !
>>>

>> it is still very rudimentary way to filter the windows, but it was helpful
>> to learn about the hierarchy of classes 1.3, in regard to the Models for
>> example.
>>

> Indeed I've disable TaskBarMorph in my image as it's useless now :)

Great!!!

I'll be honest, this is my first serious development in Squeak / Pharo, so
it gives me much encouragement your comment, there is still much to learn
and improve, but it is very encouraging to devote time to something that
might be useful to others.