[Pharo-project] testing ui errors in headless mode

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu May 26 17:48:24 CEST 2011

On 26 May 2011 17:03, Tudor Girba <tudor at tudorgirba.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried several ways to get my head around this problem, but I do not know how to proceed. Can anyone help?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 25 May 2011, at 21:21, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have some smoke tests in Moose that basically spawn a UI and check for Error.
>>
>> This used to work when running headless in Pharo 1.2 but now they fail in Pharo 1.3. I believe this has to do with the new changes in the UI Manager, but I do not know what to do.
>>
>> To reproduce the problem, you can simply call a Pharo-1.3.image in headless mode and file in the attached st file that:
>>
>> - installs a simple test:
>> HeadlessTest>>testStartup
>>       self shouldnt:  [1 inspect] raise:  Error

Tudor, your test is wrong.
During image startup and in headless mode calling inspector will and
should raise an error.
Because inspecting object requires a presence of UI.
But there's no UI in headless mode and prohibited from use during
image startup phase, because
you cannot start asking questions from user before properly
initializing everything related to startup.
Startup is called startup on purpose: is should not be interrupted nor
require user's interaction.

Assume that you don't have Morphic loaded in your image, then what you
expect to happen if you do
1 inspect
?

--