[Pharo-project] A radical proposal (to cut down dead code)

Marcus Denker marcus.denker at inria.fr
Sat May 28 15:35:57 CEST 2011

Hi,

There is *a lot* of dead code in the image.

I guess around 1/3 of the code base in Core is just not used at all (especially Morphic).

One thing I would like to do is to put, at the beginning of a development cycle,
a call

	self doesAnyOneUseThisTaggedIn: 'pharo 1.3'.

at the beginning of *all* unsent methods. And keep it even in the released image.

This way we can, within 2-3 interations, remove *a lot* of dead code.

Methods where people tell us that they need them, we should tag
with <api> or <public> or something like that.

	Marcus

INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.