[Pharo-project] A radical proposal (to cut down dead code)

Gastón Dall' Oglio gaston.dalloglio at gmail.com
Sat May 28 18:07:41 CEST 2011

Hello.
I do not know about Torch, Moose, and related tools, and I even as a novice
in the art of smalltalk, I will tell an idea. If it seems very silly then
simply discarded:)

I also believe that sending information on that part of the system we use is
vital for you to make any decisions with less risk of breakage of the tools
that we ourselves use.

This allows you to create statistics to revalidate the code identified as
unused, or else find that use is being given. I also think they should not
be sent anonymously, so as to inquire the user that sent about what use is
giving the system and determine if it is a compelling reason to consider.
But it should be simple and automatic for a user to send this information,
much as do common applications, and should be enabled if you want it or not.
But, if a user does not report about his use of the system, then can not
claim to be supportive.

All this collecting and sending information can only be done efficiently
with a transparent tool for the user. It would be nice to know if it already
exists how to use it for that purpose.