[Pharo-project] A radical proposal (to cut down dead code)

Schwab,Wilhelm K bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Mon May 30 01:11:54 CEST 2011

Options are good, but one algorithm that tries to get it all right is probably asking for trouble.  Dolphin has an elaborate stripper, but I found that slicing out unreferenced packages would typically give me a 4 MB or so executable.  I was able to strip further, but it took time and raised the possibility of runtime failures.  Which tests drive the stripping?  They could easily be broader than strictly necessary, causing otherwise unneeded things to be retained.  I agree with Stef that good packaging is the place to start.