[Pharo-project] TilingWM improvements

Gastón Dall' Oglio gaston.dalloglio at gmail.com
Tue May 31 14:21:59 CEST 2011

2011/5/30 laurent laffont <laurent.laffont at gmail.com>

> Hi Gastón,

Hi

> I did not look at your change yet, sorry :),

No problem Laurent, many mails to read:) What I do is also send a mail to
the list, send to your email as well.

> and I'm not sure to understand. Could you write a test to characterize this
> please ?

I write a test, to do the following (but you can load this method and you
can do now at hand to understand what I mean): maximize a window, use
topWindowMoveTop, then topWindowMoveBottonLeft. The result is that the
window is 1 / 8 the size of the screen (I attach screenshot). With the
resolution size of the current monitors or the possibility of having
multiple monitors and extend the main window Pharo through these, using
windows of 1 / 4 of the screen can be a waste, plus there are tools that do
not need more a small space.
Moreover, this way you can only have 4 move operations: topWindowMoveTop /
Bottom / Left / Rigth, since the rest of you combined the above.

> I've implemented automatic refresh (see TilingWMSettings
> class>>initialize). May break the first time you load it if you have a
> version before the change.

Yes, I see, thanks.

> There's a first shot of GUI controls for world snapshot / navigation but it
> needs more work to be intuitive.

There are many new features, it is time to make a new screencast:)