[Pharo-project] A radical proposal (to cut down dead code)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue May 31 21:12:23 CEST 2011

On 31 May 2011 21:44, laurent laffont <laurent.laffont at gmail.com> wrote:
> Another idea (don't know how hard it is) is to have test coverage + comment
> coverage in Hudson.
> Then we can start to consider that dead code = code with no test or no
> comment.

Laurent, have you tried to run lint rule checker in pharo image?
I tried once and if i remember correctly, there are like 30000 notices.
Now, what you think, is it possible for any human to visit all of them
step by step
analyze and then fix the code? It is enormous amount of data (and most
of it is just white noise,
or insignificant detail). Now how to filter that noise and address the
only things which you should take care of?
And since we're continuting development, every time you doing an
update, this stuff should be revisited,
compared and cross-checked again. And we don't have such facility:
take image A and B, and compare their lint output.
I imagine this would require a quite sophisticated database , with UI
on top of that, which will allow you to navigate
through these notices mark them as invalid, or fixed etc etc..
What i mean that automated tools is cool. But they cannot solve all
our problems: every such issue should be analyzed and considered by
developer.
Because we're still not yet at the point, where system can reason
about itself and automatically improve itself without need of our
attention :)
If this day will come, then it will be the end of humanity (at least
in its current form - homo sapiens sapiens ;)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.