[Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo Glorp port release

Guillermo Polito guillermopolito at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 06:43:04 CEST 2011

Hi!

We are reaaaaally happy to announce (at last) a very very stable release of
the new Glorp port :D.  We've done a lot to achieve the following results
with Glorp:

OpenDBX Oracle:
- 7 errors related to Blobs, which are not supported by opendbx.
- 1 failure related to timestamp cast (and I don't understand the test
intention yet :P)

OpenDBX MySql:
- 100% green tests :D

OpenDBX PostgreSQL:
- 7 errors and 1 failure related to Blobs, which are not supported by
opendbx (again).

OpenDBX SQLite:
- 6 failures related to large objects, which are not supported by opendbx
(again again).. 2 (expected) failures related to times & dates.

Native PostgresV2 Driver:
- 2 failures with blobs

So far, some FAQs:

*¿What is the difference between this port and the old one?*
Almost 4 years of work of the VW team with tons of bugfixing (see the last 4
years release notes from Glorp for more detail :P)

*¿How can I load it?*
If you want to load Glorp + OpenDBX, you can try the following:

*Gofer it
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfGlorpDBX';
    load.

(((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfGlorpDBX) perform: #project) perform:
#version: with: #stable) load*

Also, you can try loading only Glorp (maybe because you want to integrate it
with your own database driver):

Gofer it
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfGlorp';
    load.

(((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfGlorp) perform: #project) perform:
#version: with: #stable) load

*¿How did we test it?*
We've tested it in Pharo 1.2 and Pharo 1.3 + Jenkins CogVms.

*¿What's coming next?*
*We are working for your happiness (?).*

Hehe, our next step is to release the DBXMagritte project, which aims to
allow people working in the Software business to create easy CRUD -the same
scaffolding idea from RoR for example- including some of the following
features:

- (create a class model + magritte descriptions) from a database schema
- [if you already have a descripted class model] use magritte descriptions
to create a database schema
- use magritte descriptions to create glorp mappings

And then, you can use the same descriptions for your Seaside app, or in
every magritte-friend framework you like ;)

So, thanks again to ESUG for sponsoring the project :).

Guillermo, Santiago, Gisela, Mariano, Esteban and Diogenes