[Pharo-project] [Metacello] Re: collecting all packages of a configuration

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 10:43:33 CEST 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 2:12 AM, Dale Henrichs <dhenrich at vmware.com> wrote:
>
>> Mariano,
>>
>> Metacello is written to run on multiple Smalltalk dialects. I cannot just
>> replace SystemChangeNotifier with SystemAnnouncer without considering how
>> that code will affect the other platforms the Metacello runs on ... it's
>> not a simple matter.
>>

> I know. My email was to show you that after a single change we have MOST
> of the tests green, don't we? So it is not that broken. That's all I wanted
> to show.
> I know it is not easy to change. I have the same problem in Fuel for
> example and how to make it work for different Pharo versions. I was
> thinking the other day and maybe I will end up rewriting each:
> "SystemChangeNotifier" to "FuelPortabilityLayer notifier"  (the API is the
> same). And then I will have subclasses of FuelPortabilityLayer for
> different Pharo version...or overrides in the (already existing)
> compatibility packages, not sure...using Grease is overkilling in this case
> for me.

Well, let's think together. From what I can see (let me know if it is not
like that), you use SystemChangeNotifier just to make things silent.
So rather than doing, for example,

SystemChangeNotifier uniqueInstance doSilently: [ super runCase ]

we can do

[ super runCase ] valueSilently

or change #doSilently to #withoutNotifications or whatever. Then we just
implement those messages differently in different Pharo versions.

what do you think?