[Pharo-project] RE : [Preview] The Alternative Browser

Goubier Thierry thierry.goubier at cea.fr
Fri Aug 3 16:39:22 CEST 2012

Le 03/08/2012 16:20, Torsten Bergmann a écrit :
>> Have you seen Doug Ways Whisker browser?
>
> Yeah! Whisker's stacking idea was cool and it was
> really nice alternative to traditional Smalltalk
> browsers. I'm sure you can get it to run in an
> older Squeak image to see it in action.

The screenshots are very interesting to me, especially the type of
information shown in the different trees.

> Also note the Star Browser from the "old Squeak days" (TM)
> which was also nice. It allowed you to add classes, morphs,
> packages, objects, ... to the tree.
>
> This allowed to use it as package navigator, class browser,
> inspector, diagram browser, ...
>
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2935
>
> The main page has gone but you can find it in the
> wayback machine with screenshots from the VisualWorks port:
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20070418140440/http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~rowuyts/StarBrowser/index.html
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20070428161513/http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~rowuyts/StarBrowser/screenshots.html
>
> So you could group diagrams, packages, classes, ... in one
> place.

Thanks. This one is really interesting, because the way the menu is
built in the Alt-Browser panes is exactly the same as shown in the Star
Browser example. Now, if I could get the shortcuts to behave in the same
way... (instance-based, tree selected-item customized keymaps is my target).

Going from the existing Alt-Browser code to a Star-Browser
reimplementation would be easy. (i.e. create a different view on each
type of node in the tree). But not a complete class browser, please ! Oh
well, only if you (a user), not me, really like it that way.

However, I would consider far too heavy to have to built myself a
complete tree of an existing system starting from an empty root; I find
that package maintainers are doing a good job at it, and I want to reuse it.

One more browser to keep in mind :-)

Thierry
--
Thierry Goubier