[Pharo-project] About the migration from PackageInfo to RPackage

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 14:20:51 CEST 2012

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Guillermo Polito
<guillermopolito at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <
> marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <
>> stephane.ducasse at inria.fr> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys
>>>
>>> PackageInfo has a large APi that is often not used.
>>> So I would suggest that we reduce the PackageInfo API first because it
>>> will lower the stress on RPackage to be offer a
>>> compatible interface.
>>> All the methods in the compatibility should somehow disappear or only
>>> serve as purpose to help temporary
>>> backwards compat.
>>>

>> I agree. But if you want to remove in the future PackageInfo, then
>> RPackage HAS to provide a way to get the classes/extension methods of a
>> MCPackage. That's why I need #allDefinedClasses and
>> #allDefinedExtensionMethods
>>

> Unless we attack MCPackage at the same time

And do what?
you said in the issue tracker: "I believe that for tanker you should
specify the exact package names..."

Well, of course, I can do it myself (in my own code) but if every person
that needs to map MCPackages to RPackage does it in their own....

 I don't care if you provide  #allDefinedClasses and
#allDefinedExtensionMethods. What I think is a must if you want to remove
PackageInfo is to provide a map between MCPackage and RPackage. I other
words, say I have the MCPackage 'Fuel', how do I get the list of classes
and extension methods?