[Pharo-project] using color tables with forms and bitblt?

Gary Chambers gazzaguru2 at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 6 17:38:43 CEST 2012

Hi Lawson.

I've has a play and something along the following lines might help...

|extent f bm colors colorWords cm originalForm|
extent := 256 at 192.
originalForm := Display copy: (0 at 0 extent: extent).
f := Form extent: extent depth: 32.
0 to: 359 by: 1 do: [:h |
 colors := (Color h: h s: 0.9 v: 0.7) wheel: 4096.
 colorWords := colors collect: [:c |
  c pixelWordForDepth: 32].
 bm := colorWords as: Bitmap.
" cm := ColorMap
  shifts: #(-12 -8 -4 0)
  masks: #(16rF00000 16rF000 16rF0 16r00)
  colors: bm."
 (BitBlt current toForm: f)
  colorMap: bm;
  copy: f boundingBox
  from: 0 at 0 in: originalForm.
 f displayAt: 50 at 40.
 Display forceDisplayUpdate.
 (Delay forMilliseconds: 10) wait].

Display restore.

---------------
ColorMap stuff commentedd out as BitBlt can automatically adjust based on
colorMap size though a full ColorMap object can give more control.

Your base mandelbrot would be represented as a 32bit form (originalForm),
probably best to stick to the 24bits of RGB values.
The Bitmap provides 4096 color mappings, though I think that 32768 allegedly
works too.
Just using #wheel: to demonstrate, fill your map as you wish!

Runs at around 100 fps (without the delay) on my pc, though that includes
creation of the colour maps on each iteration.
Around 20fps for a fullish screen (1080p) for just the display cycle with
precomputed maps.

Hopefully helpful.

Regards, Gary