[Pharo-project] a thought for Finder

Ben Coman btc at openInWorld.com
Sun Aug 19 03:23:50 CEST 2012

Just a thought on my personal usage of Finder (in Pharo 1.4).

I find the majority of my use of the <Choose Packages> button in Finder
is continually filtering on the same subset of packages. This subset may
be different for different contexts that I am working in, but within
each context it is fairly consistent.  For instance, if I'm looking at
the internals of Alexandre Bergel's Roassal package, then I am always
choosing all of those packages.

Further, I never seem to find myself using the <All packages> button.  I
seem to always just open a new Finder since I usually haven't finished
with the "Roassal" one and this is quicker than later again filtering on
"Roassal."

My proposal is that the two buttons <Choose Packages> and <All Packages>
be replaced by a pull down list for which the first two items would be
the same as the buttons it replaces, plus my saved "context package
filters".

cheers -ben