[Pharo-project] ANN: Periscope - Universal Navigation Sidebar for Nautilus

Pavel Krivanek pavel.krivanek at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 11:39:43 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I want to introduce a tool that, as I hope, may improve your Smalltalk
browsing experience. It is named Periscope and it is an universal
navigation sidebar for Nautilus that is common for all Nautilus
windows. It is snapped to the display edge as the topmost window.

Periscope uses a system of plugins written using Spec you may easily
improve and adapt it for your needs. Currently it contains only three
plugins created mainly for the demonstration. It is:
- Tools starters plugin
- Bookmarks plugin
- Behavior references plugin that show class or trait references of
the currently browsed class

Of course I can imagine a wide side of next plugins like Spotlight
plugin, instance variables plugin, method versions plugin, senders
etc. Really cool would be plugins that would show additional
information while writing code.

Please feel free to improve Periscope. I hope Ben will come with a lot
of new ideas and improvements.

To test Periscope take some recent 2.0 image and evaluate:

Gofer new
    smalltalkhubUser: 'PavelKrivanek' project: 'Periscope';
    package: 'Periscope';
    load.

Nautilus pluginClasses add: {(Smalltalk at: #NautilusPeriscopePlugin). #none}

...then open Nautilus or open Periscope from the tools menu.

Chees,
-- Pavel