[Pharo-project] New Text Completion suggestions

Henrik Sperre Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Wed Aug 22 20:22:01 CEST 2012

Is it just me who finds the new text completion resulting from O/E merge
insufferably disruptive?
Whenever I've been editing in an existing method, and try moving
back/forward using arrow keys, instead of moving the cursor, it opens a
browser on the completion suggestion for whatever I'd just finished
writing (if I go right), or does jack squat (if I try moving left)...
Ironically, clicking the text editor anywhere BUT the completion
dialogue leaves the window open, and starts suggesting for whatever you
type at the cursors new location, while clicking ON any part of the
popup-pane CLOSES it.
  moving cursor with the mouse (not that you could before), only thing
that works is pressing escape, which is a natural key to reach for
whenever you've finished typing a word, no?
Not to mention, if there is only one suggestion, and that suggestion
you've already typed in completely, it DOES NOT CLOSE.

Suggestions:
- Don't hijack the arrow keys (at least not left/right) for
autocomplete-popup functionality.
- Close the fracking dialogue if the only suggestion it has is _exactly
what is already typed_
- Handle mouse-clicks on a suggestion by selecting it, clicks anywhere
else in the texteditor by closing it.

Cheers,
Henry

PS: AlphaBlendingCanvas suggested for 'aB'... really?