[Pharo-project] latam mirror down?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 20:23:34 CEST 2012

On 22 August 2012 18:30, Dale Henrichs <dhenrich at vmware.com> wrote:
> Frank,
>
> The rationale for turning on the latam mirror was driven by metacello bootstrapping concerns (metacello is bootstrapped from  squeaksource/gemsource so isn't sensitive to squeaksource being down) but the desire to use the latam mirror for other configs that may be loaded like omnibrowser, profstef, etc.... those were the issues I was running into when squeaksource was down for several days and I was trying to get work done ... I just threw the switch to the latam mirror and didn't have to worry about it until now...
>
> If squeaksource decides to go down now, there is no latam mirror and that is a real problem!

That is indeed a real problem, and something that hosting the whole
world on github would ameliorate, but not solve.

> There are configuration level things that folks can do like providing two repositories in the specification, but not everyone does that and I'm not sure that the logic for trying different schemes for supplying the schemes is a Metacello responsibility ... I liked the latam solution because it is a developer decision to switch repositories, not a default action by Metacello when it "thinks" that a repository is down and switches to another repository without the developer being aware of what's going on ...
>
> In the large I agree that solutions are needed, but I'm not convinced that Metacello is the right place to manage these choices (especially given the fact that you can specify mulitiple repositories in a configuration so that you can explicitly define the primary, secondary, tertiarty, etc. repository).

Sorry, I wasn't clear - I meant precisely that it wasn't a Metacello
ConfigurationOf's responsibility to find something, but just to name
parts. _My particular_ setup might say "try local cache, then SS, then
LatAm, and bail otherwise" while someone else's might say "try only
this special local network repo". In either case, I'd imagine
something like a configuration script supplying repository info to
Metacello. Metacello would simply say "I know about these repos, and
I'll try them in order." (This is just what Maven does. Not that I
think that Maven's necessary the ultimate tool: it works, and copying
things that work seems like a good plan.)

frank