[Pharo-project] New Text Completion suggestions

Henrik Sperre Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Thu Aug 23 15:05:31 CEST 2012

On 23.08.2012 14:41, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:
> You mean someone might LIKE
> - keep getting suggested something they just typed?
> - that the window doesn't close when they've clearly change context by
> moving the cursor?
> - that the window doesn't respond to mouse input to it by selecting
> what you clicked on, but rather closing?
>
> Cheers,
> Henry
To explain my thinking:
To me, the autocomplete popup is essentially a menu that opens before I
might feel like using it.
As such, I expect it to behave similiarly to a menu.
With regards to mouse input, that means the two last gripes above.
With regards to keyboard input, I never explicitly opened it, thus I
expect it to not interfere with normal operation in the widget.
To me, using left and right keys are normal operations in a text editor
after inserting characters, while tabbing or pressing up and down less
so (in other words I think it's ok those operate the popup without
explicitly focusing it first).

What do you really lose by not hijacking left and right? The ability to
view definition of the first entry in the list with a single key-press.
IMHO, that's not too bad, I'd expect the 3-press down->up->right
sequence to do that, or alternately a two-press sequence with new
shortcut for explicitly switching focus, then right.

Cheers,
Henry