[Pharo-project] New Text Completion suggestions

Henrik Sperre Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Thu Aug 23 15:56:54 CEST 2012

On 23.08.2012 15:40, Camillo Bruni wrote:
> no options, this what options are for. you can decide on a default.
> and then change the options. we live in a multidimensional world.
>
> it's the same thing with using ENTER instead of TAB to accept
> completions. I and Igor for instance strongly prefer ENTER, whereas
> other people like you don't like that... now we can start a swiss
> democracy over that and decide in 100 years whether we should support
> ENTER or not. OR we simply add an option, both sides happy!
To me, same argument as in the other post applies;
How often do I tab after typing a character?
Not very often. When coding, I tab usually only to indent before
starting to type, not to align text succeeding other text on a line.
How often do I use enter after typing a character?
Whenever I want to split a multi-argument function call over multiple lines.
How often enter is an annoyance thus depends on how often I've already
used the autocomplete to finish the argument name :)
(And even less if menu would close when you've manually typed in a sole
suggestion)

Overall, either option at worst introduces minor disruption to normal
code editing.
Left and right keys are on a whole other level, imho...

Cheers,
Henry