[Pharo-project] New Text Completion suggestions

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Aug 24 02:25:01 CEST 2012

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 01:40:54AM +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> On 24 August 2012 01:19, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> (a bit orthogonal)
> >> i don't understand why we cannot have own, consistent set which is good
> >> for us?
> >> vim, emacs..
> >

> > better use sets which are already extremely familiar than invent yet another
> > set.  to those of us who use these editors (and we are legion) these sets
> > have long become almost subconscious to use.
> >

> i know that.. i also came to squeak from outside..
> but as we say in Ukraine: don't enter others sanctuary with own
> code(set of rules).
>
> >> why this is so important ? Those editors were not written for editing
> >> smalltalk code in mind..
> >> they are best suited for big, hundreds lines of code, files..
> >

> > they're the two most popular editors of their type.  lots of people use them
> > for other languages without IDE support.  They provide convenient power
> > features such as pattern replacement.  Not often I find myself filing out
> > Smalltalk code and editing it with vim (sadly I've never learned emacs).
> >
> me too.. i never learned emacs. So, maybe i am completely ignorant and can't see
> why it is so important to have it there.. But then, i don't
> understand, why most of editors i know
> never had emacs/vim key bindings as option? Are they completely stupid? Huh?

Typing is like playing a musical instrument. A good typist does not look
at the keyboard, and is not consciously aware of the individual keys and
motions of his or her fingers. Once you learn to play a musical instrument,
the mind goes beyond the mechanical motions, and your thoughts and creativity
occur without conscious awareness of fingering positions. A pianist is not
"better than" a banjo player, and a saxophone is not better than a guitar.

This is why key bindings are important. Our brains and our fingers just work
that way. If you can play a saxophone and edit in emacs, then you may not be
comfortable communicating with a guitar fretboard or a vi editor.

Personally, I am a mediocre guitarist and vi user, and sadly I never learned
emacs or piano ;)

> So, you know, if we follow that logic.. hey we don't have a unix command line..
> so maybe we should add an option: either workspace or command line?
> and then introduce nice terminal emulation with prompt, users and .bashrc ..
> ahh.. what the hell.. lets replicate whole unix environment.. imagine
> how many happy users will join us then!

Ack! Pfft! What a horrible idea:
 http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6023

;)