[Pharo-project] glamour and pharo

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 23:07:41 CET 2012

> But, most people will load exactly the same thing: one set of development tools that should do the basic work nicely. This was the point of the Pharo distribution. And it shipped with OB and it was great.

OB was never part of PharoCore, it was part of a distribution
(PharoDev) that originally Damien and then other people built on top
of PharoCore. For some reasons (not understandable to me) it was
decided not to have this "official" distribution anymore, but people
continued to build and use different distributions (see Moose,
Seaside, ...).

>  Only OB is rather limited, and apparently, it will not be supported anymore :). So, from this point of view, a browsing infrastructure is relevant for the Pharo distribution.

OB is supported in Pharo 1.3. In fact, Colin and I have spent a lot of
time during the past months improving OB: laying the ground work for
multi-selection/trees, redesigned the rendering platforms (tool
builder, polymorph, web, ...; drag & drop, resizable panes), , etc.

> Now, to me it seems that there is a problem with what different people understand by Pharo. And I think it would be good to clarify how we should get to the core image so that Lukas can get peace of mind :)

This proposal is as ridiculous as if like Linux would suddenly decide
to include KDE or Gnome in the kernel.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli