[Pharo-project] glamour and pharo

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Mon Jan 2 15:41:06 CET 2012

>>> As discussed previously, I
>>> don't think that the refactoring engine provides the right model for
>>> this task; but should it turn out otherwise, why not adapt it at that
>>> time? Also I don't see why Pharo would want to have remote editing
>>> functionality in all images. Shouldn't that better be a completely
>>> separate project?
>>
>> Lukas we want only one compiler but we should be able to edit its code.
>> RIght now marcus has the old compiler as a fallback and this is annoying.
>> We should be able to run two compilers side by side (this is why Opal should be parametrized by environment (smalltalk) but also
>> object environment (nil true….) so that we can bootstrap it with itself.
>
> I don't understand what you write, but I guess it boils down to having
> namespaces that allows one to load and use different variations of the
> same code at once.

Not only but nearly.
we should even be able to say from which class literal true is and potentially have two different ones.

> This would also solve my problem with the
> refactoring engine: Pharo could depend on one version, I could use
> another one.

Yes this is what we want for pharo and this is why we are cleaning everything too .
but for that it means that all the tools chain should be parametrized by environment.
Compiler, senders, implementors, test and refactoring is one of them.
Remote is just one case. And since Nick needs it, this is a way to get momentum.

> Seems to me quite a central kind of functionality to make progress.

We are working on it regularly. SystemNavigation was fixed, then we get some problems with TestRunner.
Because we should be able to run tests defined in another one. So this poses the question of late bound classes.
So before getting there we should be able to experiment. And for that we need to have a parametrized environment.

> Again to make the analogy with Linux: This seems to be the virtual
> machines that allow one to easy test and run other kernels aside.

Yes this is the vision. We think about that since a couple of year with marcus.
The bootstrap is also part of the story.