[Pharo-project] glamour and pharo

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 18:44:00 CET 2012

> is not that *it can't* is that, as a development platform, Pharo needs to provide kernel+tools, not just kernel.
> Anyway, I was not arguing against having a small kernel, I was arguing against pharo "just doing" the kernel.
> Linux itself can't be distributed just as a kernel, it is distributed with a full set of different tools: GNU/Linux, Ubuntu Linux, etc. (btw... this is one of the arguments Stallman allways says about Linux: it was possible because there was already a lot of tools) And, in that case, just as Linux, we can't just do the kernel, we need to provide development tools... otherwise, people wont use it. I myself wont use it for my commercial applications if I do not have something like OmniBrowser to develop.

I totally agree, the Pharo Kernel alone is not very useful for an
end-user. However, with the emerging Pharo architecture you can hardly
build a different distribution.

To use the Linux analogy: You are trying to convince GNU/Linux to
rebuild their system on top of a full-fledged Ubuntu distribution.

> What I'm NOT saying: Kernel and Tools should be coupled. (If ppl whant kernel+other things, they are welcome to have it... I myself will want it)

This coupling is exactly what is happening. How do you propose to
build your kernel+other distribution?

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli