[Pharo-project] roadmap

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Tue Jan 3 08:28:28 CET 2012

On 02/01/12 2:58 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2012, at 8:42 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>>> How can the core of pharo work with FS if FS is not loaded in Pharo?
>>
>> Then my question is: How can anybody use Pharo that does not want to
>> use your changes of AST and FS?
>
> Normally we talk and we reach a consensus.

The issue here is that FS was a separately maintained package that was
(and apparently still is) loaded into different places. Adding the FS
packages to Pharo amounts to a fork of FS. In hindsight, there should
have been a discussion at that point.

Is it possible to maintain FS as a separate package, and use it for
Pharo core? I think the answer is yes, because it is possible to run
without .sources and .changes files. IMHO, the right way forward is to
make it a priority to build the "core" from PharoKernel, and the
modularity everyone wants will be a natural outcome.