[Pharo-project] glamour and pharo

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 14:35:47 CET 2012

>>> What I'm NOT saying: Kernel and Tools should be coupled. (If ppl whant kernel+other things, they are welcome to have it... I myself will want it)
>>
>> This coupling is exactly what is happening. How do you propose to
>> build your kernel+other distribution?
>
> What coupling you are talking about? Can you give an example?
> Instead we striving to decouple components of the system and improve
> infrastructure.
> If you speaking about announcements, so here the vision:
>  - there are tons of different event driving mechanisms in image
> and we want to leave only one, replacing all of them with announcements.
> Will this couple tools to announcements? Of course.
> Will this add unnecessary coupling between layers? No. Because
> announcements is inherently
> serving for decoupling event source(s) from event consumers.

THis is not about announcements. I am talking about adding new UI,
FileSystem, Refactoring, Compiler, Tools, ... frameworks. Any such
addition will increase the coupling in Pharo because the core and
external clients will start to slowly adapt these frameworks. This
adaptation increases the coupling (to this particular framework) and
means that it will be increasingly hard to unload or replace them in
the future.

Or shorter: What you add today, you cannot easily remove again tomorrow.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch